Monday, June 30, 2008

Farmer's Market


Salt Lake City hosts a Farmer’s Market every Saturday morning in one of its downtown parks. I went this weekend with visions of finding vine ripe tomatoes, new mushrooms, fresh oregano, and tender basil that I could take home, put it all in a pot, and reduce it to a killer marinara sauce, or as I like to call it, “gravy”. (“Hey-yo, wait-uh, whez duh gravy fo’ my braciole?”) I was excited to look through some fresh home grown produce. When I first got there, I saw a quartet playing some music; which wasn’t all that bad, but I would have expected the band at a Farmer’s Market to be filled with banjos, fiddles, and a guy blowing across the opening of an empty jug. I didn’t mind, though, since I had my mind set on finding fresh tomatoes. I looked all over that park trying to find them, but instead, all I found were booths and booths of things like jewelry, tie-died tee shirts, scarves, pottery, paintings, and even didgeridoos. They even had a row of booths filled with fast food chains trying to sell burritos and ice cream cones. The closest thing I could find to vegetables was some small seedling plants that someone was selling out of the back of their truck over by the curb. What I thought would be a fun farmer’s market turned out to be the worst flee market ever. They even had prices on all of their goods so that I couldn’t haggle. Boring! I probably would have paid money for something I didn’t even want if I could have talked them down on the price. Call me back when the “farmer’s” market decides to sell herbs and vegetables, or at least offer pony rides.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Not sure about the pony rides, but give it a couple of weeks and there will be much produce to purchase. Because of our long lasting spring things are late in ripening - I went a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed as well, but remembered that my tomatoes aren't growing yet either, so makes sense. Don't give up on it Dean - it gets better I promise!