Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tis the Season


Yesterday was the Mountain West Conference media day, which is kind of like the day after Thanksgiving when it is officially the Christmas season, but this is even better because it is Football season. This morning I marked every Ute game on my Outlook calendar, the Mountain West Conference 10th Anniversary team was released (5 Utes on the roster), and a lady from my work had a helmet signed by Sione Pouha and the entire Jet’s team. Tis officially the season. Now, I just need to get a couple of days off of work, because the Utes have two Thursday night games and decide which of the road games to go to this year; definitely Utah State, hopefully San Diego State, and maybe a third one in Colorado Springs. I’m so excited! All I want for Christmas is a Ute victory in Ann Arbor! Go Utes!

After I wrote the above, I began to wonder whether my fascination with Ute football is bordering on obsession. So, I decided to add up the time I spend watching Ute football. If I go to the game, I probably spend about eight hours with the tailgating and everything, and if I watch the game at home, it probably only takes about four hours out of my life. If I go to eight games a year and watch four on the television, then that is a total of 76 hours per season. Now, if I spend 16 hours a day awake that is 5,840 hours a year and the 76 hours I spend watching Ute football is only 1.3% of my waking life. One would probably have to spend upwards of 50 hours a month doing something to consider that something an obsession, so I think I’m in the clear. Of course, that doesn’t count all the other things I do related to Ute football, such as reading newspaper articles, listening to talk radio, and debating around the water cooler, but I think I can chalk those activities up to multitasking. I may be a superfanatical Ute supporter, but I’m still a productive member of society. Feeling justified, I’ll shout it again; Go Utes!

1 comment:

John said...

I'd go with obsession.

Maybe we meet halfway in Albuquerque?