Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mr. Gullible


I get a lot of forwards every day, emails filled with non-productive content, such as jokes about lazy husbands, or videos of kids doing stupid things, or slide shows with poems and flowery fields that are meant to make you cry, or news articles about unstoppable gas prices, etc, etc. Sometimes these emails are filled with outrageous content that is entirely false. Other times it is genuine stuff. And sometimes it seams real, but isn’t. I’ve been known to get tricked into believing that emails are real when they really weren’t. Yesterday was my most gullible of email moments to date. A video showed up in my inbox that showed people using cell phones to pop popcorn. I’m so paranoid about what cell phones are doing to my brain that I believed it really worked. In fact, I went to the store and purchased popcorn to give it a try. And I didn’t just try it out at home, but I took it to work and convinced a couple of my coworkers to use their cell phones to give it a try with me. I even had a few more people from my department as an audience. It didn’t work of course, and I was left to bemoan my failure in front of everyone. I tried to use the excuse that maybe it had to be microwave popcorn to work. One member of the peanut gallery decided he’d make things worse by asking me if I’d checked out this experiment on Snopes. Well, I did after he suggested it, and sure enough it turned out to be a complete fabrication. Everyone spent the rest of the afternoon making jokes at my expense about how I should try other household chores with my cell phone, like ironing my shirt or whitening my teeth. I should stamp gullible on my forehead before going out in public.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely needed that laugh today. Thanks for being awesome an sharing it with me... I bet the microwave popcorn would actually work-give it a try next time you come to play games with John!

Gayle said...

Great post, love the guy you found to post as Mr. gullible! I want to put him up on my "office" wall! Sorry you got sucked in on the cell phone popcorn thing. "Get Gephart" investigated that on TV a couple of months ago and, as you found out,it proved to be impossible to make the popcorn pop with several cell phones going at the same time. Saved me from going public and trying it with my crowd.