Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mr. Bluuuurg

I have a question. Why does everyone take the “hannes” out of Johannesburg to leave just the Joburg? Sure, Jo can wake you up in the morning, and it can be a great dinner to “Eat At”, but it’s pretty generic. And Burg sounds smug. I expect some old butler in a starched out tuxedo to look down his nose at me to say that “Mr. Buuuuurg” will see me now. Hannes, on the other hand, sounds completely gnarly, like a soccer player that is so good he only needs one name, or a compliment given to a guitar player after a sweet riff, or even something Brody would have said while plummeting to his death at the end of Pointe Break. “Vye-uh con Dee-Os Brody, that wuz utterly hannes, man”. Johannesburg without the “hannes” seems like a PBJ without any PB or J, just two dry pieces of wheat bread. Maybe when people ask me about my brother, I can leave off the Jo and the Burg and just tell them that he is on assignment in Hannes. That would be fun, kind of like licking the double stuff out of an Oreo. And then when they look at me and say, “Party on, Wayne”, I can look back and say, “Party on, Garth”. Hannes would be my vote, if there were votes for such things.

3 comments:

Jenny and Josh said...

I totally agree Dean! When ever any of the family has said joburg it has been like nails on a chalk board! I kept my mouth shut because I thought I was the only one. I am glad to know you too feel the need to keep the hannes in Johannesburg!

Unknown said...

I think the Zulu and Pedi had a hard time with Johannesburg in general-pretty glad I can at least understand it when they say Joburg in their amazingly cool African accents!

Gayle said...

The things you think about??!! Great stuff. Love reading your blog. Mom/Gayle