Monday, August 20, 2007

Fashion vs Style

My personal opinion is that a girl's "beauty" depends more upon how she carries herself and her attitude than what she wears. I’ve seen girls who are far more pretty wearing a tee shirt and a beanie than another girl who is wearing hundreds of dollars of the latest fashion after spending hours on her hair and makeup in some gaudy salon. So, when I came across this quote in a book that I’m reading, I laughed, and then read it again, then smiled, and then read it again. And since I need some fresh material for my blog, I thought I’d post it here to share with all of you. Besides, the way it is written in this quote is more eloquent than I could ever say it.

“Style is something you can only possess in and of yourself-it’s originality, attitudinal distinction physicallized. Whereas fashion is just a bunch of assholes telling you how to dress and in fact conduct yourself in every area.”

- Lester Bangs, “The Grooming of David Johansen”, The Village Voice, September 3, 1979

2 comments:

amanda jane said...

Love it! Great reminder, hope that I am not one of those gaudy types. Oh yeah I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on ANYTHING let alone fashion! You are awsome Dean - now why is it again your still available?

Jessica said...

Perfectly accurate.